Kintsugi kit - Traditional TSUGUKIT - (0.3 g of 23kt Gold Powder & 0.5 g of Silver Powder Included)
<Note> This Traditional kintsugi kit "TSUGUKIT" contains 0.3 g of 23kt gold and 0.5 g of silver powder.
The TSUGUKIT contains the essential materials you need to get started with kintsugi. The materials included in the TSUGUKIT are all natural and food-safe.
> TSUGUKIT size 23.3 cm x 11.3 cm x 3.0 cm
Raw urushi (30 g), wood/polishing powder (approx. 8 ml), black/bengal red powder (approx. 3 ml), fine-point brush, plastic spatula, bamboo spatula, one pallet, one dropper, waterproof sandpaper, sandpaper, genuine gold powder (0.3 g), genuine silver powder (0.5 g), 2 cotton balls, masking tape, a pair of rubber gloves (Japanese M size), and a kintsugi manual.
～What is kintsugi?
Kintsugi is the Japanese art of mending broken pottery with gold. The broken pieces are first put back together using Japanese lacquer, also called “urushi.” The lacquer is then dusted with gold powder. It is estimated that the kintsugi repair technique was developed during the Muromachi period (1336–1573 CE). At the time, the art of kintsugi was often used to repair ceramics used in the tea ceremony.
Rather than hiding the cracks, kintsugi highlights them with gold. Items repaired with kintsugi become more precious than before they were broken and they can even turn into real pieces of art.
■ Our TSUGUKITs:
- Traditional TSUGUKIT (this product): 0.3 g of genuine gold and 0.5 g of silver powder
- Gold-Only TSUGUKIT: 0.5 g of genuine gold powder
- Practice TSUGUKIT: 0.3 g of genuine gold (23 kt) and 1.0 g of alternative metallic finishing powder $153
All of our kintsugi repair kits are suitable for beginners and experienced practitioners of kintsugi.
■ Product Features
- The TSUGUKIT is a compact and stylish kintsugi starter kit suitable for both beginners and advanced practitioners of kintsugi.
- The creation of the TSUGUKIT was supervised by Katsuya Shibata, an artisan who has over 30 years of experience with Japanese lacquerware. With the TSUGUKIT, you can practice kintsugi using the traditional methods and materials.
- Kintsugi may seem complicated at first, but the TSUGUKIT breaks down kintsugi into 5 steps that are easy to follow.
- The TSUGUKIT contains a manual with explanations in English and Japanese. It features pictures showing each step of kintsugi. You can also watch our kintsugi tutorial videos on YouTube. They are available in English and Japanese.
All the materials provided in the Traditional TSUGUKIT are natural and food-safe.
We believe that kintsugi is a beautiful technique to repair objects dear to you, regardless of their price tags. For example, a 5-dollar mug could be particularly valuable for you if it is the first gift your son has ever given you. Be it a broken jar or a chopped bowl, with kintsugi, you can give it a new and shinier life. In addition, kintsugi is said to have a healing effect on the mind. It is a great activity for people looking to relax and stop overthinking.
A lot of kintsugi kits you can find online include cheaper materials such as epoxy, instant adhesives, and synthetic urushi, but we have decided to stick to the natural materials traditionally used in kintsugi. With TSUGITKIT, we intend to share the beautiful art of kintsugi with the world.
【What should you prepare while waiting for TSUGUKIT?】
Tissues, one pair of scissors, utility knife, all-purpose flour, oil (canola or salad oil), water, additional rubber gloves, ethanol for disinfection use (+/- 70°), an urushi box (carton, wooden or plastic box which can be closed with a lid), plastic wrap and rubber bands if applicable.
【How many broken items can you repair with TSUGUKIT?】
Since each broken item is different, it is hard to say precisely how many items you could repair with our kit. However, we estimate that you should be able to repair the equivalent of 5-10 broken plates with the TSUGUKIT.
If you have a lot of items to repair, be careful to not use all the gold / silver powder in one go. Also, if you feel you need more practice, we recommend you to purchase metal powder in your country and use it instead of our genuine gold / silver powder. Please note, however, that metal powder sold in DIY stores is rarely food-safe.
■ !! Warning !!
- The urushi lacquer provided in our kits is raw and it can cause skin irritation and rashes when put in direct contact with the skin. That is why we strongly recommend using rubber gloves and wearing long sleeves when doing kintsugi. Please note that we are not responsible for rashes caused by this product.
- If you experience a rash when using the kintsugi kit, please stop using it immediately. Always seek the advice of a physician for any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
■ Shipping worldwide
It takes about 6-10 days on average. There may be shipping restrictions and delays due to sudden changes in legislation and COVID-19. Please contact us to check if we can ship our products to your country.
Notes: We cannot ship to P.O. boxes.
#金継ぎキット #金継ぎセット #金繕い #kintsugi #kintsugikit #kintsugiset #tsugukit #kintsugkuroi #repair #kintsugirepairkit #traditionalkintsugi #authentickintsugi #kintsugipracticekit #kintsugibeginner #kintsugiDIY #kintsugigold #kintsugipractice #fromjapan